Home •  About •  FAQs •  News •  Random Expert Selector •  Random Question Selector •  Contact Us • 

Top Level Categories

Miss Rileigh Madeline USA
Can someone please read this for me and tell me if it's good? I'm 14 an this is a true story. I want feedback so I can make it as good as possible. Also, if you happen to think of a good title for it, that'd be great!!:

Saturday, July 8th, 2011 was the day that changed my life.

At around 2 a.m. on Saturday morning, my parents got home after a night out with their friends. I didn't understand what was going on, except that my dad was yelling and my mom was sobbing, which worried me. When my dad went outside, I asked my mom what happened. She told me that she broke her collarbone, but she didn't say how it happened. She also told me it hurt to talk and asked me to take off her necklace for her. I obeyed.

When my dad came back inside after calming down a bit, my mom told him to take her to the hospital. He looked at her throat, and then they left.

Terrified and confused, I ran up to my room crying. I lied in my bed, sobbing, for several hours. I couldn't sleep. Just when I considered trying to fall asleep, I heard the sound I had been waiting to hear for the past two and a half hours: My dad's truck pulling in the driveway.

I rushed up to my window and saw my dad walking to the door. Still crying, I sprinted downstairs. He greeted me in the kitchen with a hug, and I asked him where my mom was. He told me she was in the hospital, but she was going to be okay.

The next morning, my dad explained what had happened:

My mom and my dad had been arguing during the car ride home. My dad was driving too fast, and at the entrance to our subdivision, he turned a corner too early. He lost control of the car, and my mom hit her throat on the dashboard.

Because they were such a short distance from home, they were able to make it back to the house. My mom was then flown to Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Michigan later that morning and was undergoing surgery on her larynx. A hole in her neck, called a tracheotomy, was cut in order for her to breathe. She had severe damage to her entire throat including her voice box. Therefore, she was unable to speak. My dad had to leave to go to Detroit that morning.

My two sisters and I stayed at our neighbors' house that night. While there, I acted as if everything was okay. When really, I wanted to lock myself in a bedroom and cry. But, I knew I needed to be strong for my mom and my sisters, so I put on a brave face and held in my tears.

Most of my family lives near Detroit, so they were able to visit my mom in the hospital often. They all assured me she was doing great. Although she was unable to talk, she had conversations with them via her small whiteboard and dry erase marker. My dad told me she was making great progress. My mom was expected to be in the intensive care unit for at least a week. But after just two days, she was moved to a regular hospital room.

On Friday, July 15th, my sisters and I were finally able to see her. We drove down to Detroit Friday morning. The entire drive there, I was scared as to what I should expect. My dad warned me that she had several IV's sticking out of her arms and she was being nourished through a feeding tube that ran up her nose and down to her stomach. I was extremely nervous, but my excitement overpowered my fear.

When we walked into the sterile hospital room, I wanted to burst into tears and run away. It was so incredibly painful to see my mom in this condition. She looked so tiny and fragile. She had no more IV's, but there was a tube connected to a clear bag full of brown liquid that ran up her nose. I assumed this was the feeding tube and the brown liquid was what was giving her nourishment. She wore a white collar type thing around her neck that had a hole in it which I assumed covered the hole she used to breathe. Her left arm was in a sling due to a broken collarbone, and her neck was twice its normal size because of her surgery. But, I knew I had to stay strong, so I held back my tears and walked in to sit next to her.

We stayed at the hospital for several hours talking to my mom, napping, watching T.V, and taking short walks in the hallway with her. I was devastated when we had to go, not wanting to leave my mother. But, I was promised I'd get to see her soon.

My mom was expected to be in the hospital for at least a month. She was released on Monday, July 18th after just nine days.

The night my parents walked through the door, they were followed by a nurse who began to set up equipment in our living room. My mom had a humidifier to help her breathe and a machine to clean out her trach when she coughed. For a very long time, our living room looked like a hospital room.

My mom has come a long way since then. They never expected her to be able to swallow again. On July 26th, just seventeen days after the accident, her feeding tube came out and she could begin to eat normal food. They never expected her to talk again. On August 1st, only twenty-three days after the accident, she got her voice back. She still wears a trach collar around her neck, but it is expected to come out soon.

My mother is, undoubtedly, the strongest person I know. She almost died on Saturday, July 9th, 2011. But, she pulled through and is doing fantastic. I love my mom more than anything in the world, and I am so incredibly thankful that she is alive today. It has been a painful journey, but if I've learned anything from my mom, it is to never give up on anything, no matter how hard it may seem. She fought for her life and won because she never stopped fighting. I have learned to appreciate and cherish every moment of my life because you never know what could happen. My mom has taught me that even if all the odds are against you, you can still fight back and win.

I love you, Mom!

Add Reply

There are no discussions about this question yet.
 Top of Page Terms and Conditions Privacy Disclaimer

© Simply Explained